Email Larry Mussenden
Direct Tel: 441 239 4141
Acadia University, Canada, (Bachelor of Computer Science, 1986); Webster University, USA (Masters of Arts (Business Administration), 1988), University of Kent at Canterbury (LL.B., 1994); Inns of Court School of Law (1995)
Barrister, England & Wales (1995); Barrister & Attorney, Bermuda (1996)
Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn, Bermuda Bar Association, FIFA Appeals Committee (Chairman)
Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Insolvency, Public Law
Mr. Mussenden has had a varied and distinguished legal career.
Mr. Mussenden served as a Crown Counsel in the Attorney-General’s Chambers in 1996 and then as a prosecutor in the Office of the Department of Public Prosecutions where he prosecuted cases in all the Courts of Bermuda on a regular basis. He has also served as an Acting Magistrate in criminal matters.
Mr. Mussenden worked in private practice a for several years where he specialized in criminal and civil litigation matters with appearances before the Magistrates Courts, Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal. Mr. Mussenden also specialized for several years in insolvency, corporate law, public law and commercial litigation. Over a two and half year period he had the day to day conduct of a major $70 million hedge fund litigation case in the Commercial Court that was eventually argued by senior Queen’s Counsel of the English Bar.
Mr. Mussenden was appointed the Attorney General and Minister of Justice of Bermuda and Government Senate Leader in January 2004 having being appointed a Senator in 2003. Mr. Mussenden served in these capacities until October 2006. As Attorney-General, Senator Mussenden was the Chief Legal Advisor to the Government of Bermuda. His duties included responsibility for the following matters:
- The provision of all legal advice to Government Ministers and Ministries;
- The conduct of all Government litigation;
- The drafting of all legislation tabled in the Legislature;
- The maintenance of the database of the laws of Bermuda;
- Debt Enforcement for Government debt;
- Mutual Legal Assistance matters involving foreign jurisdictions and extradition;
- Child abduction matters involving children being returned to Bermuda or foreign jurisdictions;
- Legal Aid Committee;
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Board;
- Liaison with the Chief Justice and Judiciary, and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions;
- Establishment of the Justice System Review Committee and the implementation of its recommendations;
- Extensive upgrade of the criminal law in Bermuda – e.g. introduction of the UK PACE Act, Theft Act and Bail Acts;
- Representing Bermuda in regional matters e.g. Caribbean Financial Action Task Force and British Overseas Territories’ Committees; and
- Developing and implementing internationally mandated Financial Intelligence and Investigative structures.
Mr. Mussenden served as the President of the Bermuda Football Association for the period 2001 - 2008 and currently serves for a second term since 2010. He serves as the Chairman of the FIFA Appeals Committee and regularly hears appeals from countries around the world on all matters of football.
Mr. Mussenden retired from the Bermuda Regiment in 2003 as a Major having reached the appointment of Second-In-Command after serving for some 16 years. He attended training and command courses at RMS Sandhurst in England and Canada and attended overseas training camps in the USA, Canada and Jamaica. He was appointed the Efficiency Decoration (ED) for long service and the Queen’s Jubilee Medal.
Mr. Mussenden served or has served on a number of Government Boards as follows:
- CedarBridge Academy Board of Governors - Chairman
- Bermuda College Board of Governors - Chairman
- Bermuda Government Audit Committee
- Bermuda Small Business Development Corporation – Chairman
- Bermuda Stock Exchange - Director
- Police Appeals Tribunal - Chairman
- National Sports Centre - Deputy Chair
- Mental Health Tribunal